Mail Merge Basics in Word 2013
Learn Basics about Mail Merge in Word 2013
Mail Merge is a valuable instrument that enables you to create numerous letters, marks, envelopes, unofficial IDs, and more client data put away in a rundown, database, or spreadsheet. When performing a Mail Merge, you will require a Word document (you can begin with a current one or make another one) and a recipient list, which is regularly an Excel exercise manual.
To utilize Mail Merge:
Open an existing Word report, or make a new one.
From the Mailings tab, click the Start Mail Merge command and select Step by Step Mail Merge Wizard starting from the drop menu.
The Mail Merge pane appears and will guide you through the six main steps to complete a merge. The following example demonstrates how to create a form letter and merge the letter with a recipient list.
- Choose the type of document you want to create. In our example, we’ll select Letters. Then click Next: Starting document to move to Step 2.
- Select Use the current document, then click Next: Select recipients to move to Step 3.
Now you’ll need an address list so Word can automatically place each address into the document. The list can be in an existing file, such as an Excel workbook, or you can type a new address list from within the Mail Merge Wizard.
- From the Mail Merge task pane, select Use an existing list, then click Browse… to select the file.
- Locate your file and click Open.
- If the address list is in an Excel workbook, select the worksheet that contains the list and click OK.
- In the Mail Merge Recipients dialog box, you can check or uncheck each box to control which recipients are included in the merge. By default, all recipients should be selected. When you’re done, click OK.
- From the Mail Merge task pane, click Next: Write your letter to move to Step 4.
If you don’t have an existing address list, you can click the Type a new list button and click Create. You can then type your address list.
Now you’re ready to write your letter. When it’s printed, each copy of the letter will basically be the same; only the recipient data (such as the name and address) will be different. You’ll need to add placeholders for the recipient data so Mail Merge knows exactly where to add the data.
To insert recipient data:
- Place the insertion point in the document where you want the information to appear.
- Choose one of the four placeholder options: Address block, Greeting line, Electronic postage, or More items.
- Depending on your selection, a dialog box may appear with various options. Select the desired options and click OK.
- A placeholder will appear in your document (for example, «AddressBlock»).
- Repeat these steps each time you need to enter information from your data record. In our example, we’ll add a Greeting line.
- When you’re done, click Next: Preview your letters to move to Step 5.
To read more about Office Products visit WWW.OFFICE.COM/SETUP